Published on July 15th, 2015 | by Kim0
Innokin Coolfire IV 40W Review
The Innokin Coolfire IV 40W is the latest of the Coolfire series and an innovative little box mod with a lot of power.
It boasts a 6 – 40 watt power range in a sleek and sexy looking package.
In this Coolfire IV 40W review, let’s look at all of the great features and awesome specs that will have you ready to pick it up for yourself.
Specs and Features of the Coolfire IV
- Spring Loaded Stainless Steel 510 Thread
- Dimensions: 3-3/8″L x 1-5/8″W x 1″D
- On/Off Switch on the base
- 3 Click lock and unlock feature
- OLED Display
- Vrms Power Regulation
- Micro USB Charging Port “Vape while Charging”
- Heat Dissipation Vents
- Battery Level Indicator
- Flip OLED Orientation
- 15 Second Cutoff Timer
- Lanyard Hole
- Operating Voltage: 3.0V – 7.5V
- Operating Wattage: 6.0W – 40.0W
- Built In 2000mAh Battery
- Standby current: 100uA max
- Maximum output Wattage: 40W
- Maximum output Current：12A
- Maximum output Voltage: 7.5V
- Resistance: 0.3 Ohm (minimum)
- Charging: Micro USB DC 5V/1A
How Does it Look?
The latest Coolfire is nothing like the old Coolfire 2 version which looked similar to a grenade. Instead, this version that is on its way for you to get your hands on, is a sleek look that is similar to other box mods. It’s small and fits in your hand well and comes in a few color choices – black, silver, red, and blue.
The anodized coating helps keep it newer looking and resistant to scratches and there’s a lanyard hole that is convenient for carrying around your neck.
The size is about the same as the Sigelei 30w Mini but a tad wider, just to give you an idea.The trim is silver and it has an industrial look to it that is clean and impressive.
Of course, it has an OLED screen that has easy to set settings and while it’s small, so is the box mod itself so everything is relative.
There’s even an on and off switch at the bottom on the base of the device, which is pretty cool.
- Variable Voltage: Voltage can be adjusted from 3.0 – 7.5 volts in .1 volt increments.
- Variable Wattage: Wattage can be adjusted from 6.0 – 40.0 Watts in .5 watts increments.
- Low Voltage Warning: The Red LED and Battery bar will continue blinking when the battery capacity is lower than 3.3V and the device will automatically power off.
- Short Circuit/Atomizer Protection: Short Circuit/Atomizer Protection protects the device against shorted atomizers and will stop the unit from functioning in unsafe conditions. The Innokin Coolfire IV features automatic real-time atomizer Ohms detection. If the resistance of the atomizer is lower than 0.3 the Ohms bar will blink and the Innokin Coolfire 4 will not power on.
- “Vape while charging” Technology: The Innokin iTaste Coolfire 4 is recharged with a Micro USB cable. When plugged into a power source the Innokin Coolfire 4 can also be vaped and charged at the same time with Innokin Technology’s vape while you charge pass through technology.
- Remembers last Voltage or Wattage setting: When the Innokin Coolfire IV is turned off it will remember the current voltage or wattage setting and it will retain the setting when the Innokin iTaste Coolfire 4 is powered on.
- High compatibility 510 connector: The Innokin Coolfire IV 510 threading is compatible with all standard 510 clearomizers and atomizers including the iClear16, iClear16B, iClear16D, iClear30, iClear30B, iClear30S and the Gladius-M.
- Over Discharge Protection: The Innokin Coolfire IV monitors the battery voltage and will automatically power off if the battery is over discharged.
Puff Counter: Keeps up with every vape you take.
Functionality and Power
You’re going to get 40 watts out of this so no, it’s not for everyone but it has a ton going for it and we like it. Wattage range is a decent 6w to 40w, and voltage runs 3v to 7v, so most sub ohm tanks and certainly any tank or atomizer above the sub ohm range is going to have more than enough power to provide a spectacular vape.
Although you might run into a bit of trouble trying to max out your vaping performance in a 0.2-ohm coil head tank, anything 0.3 ohms and above will be fine.
The Coolfire IV 40W’s voltage range of 3.0v to 7.5v can be increased and decreased in 0.1-volt increments and the variable wattage range of 6.0w to 40.0w is adjustable in 0.5-watt increments.
While that’s what you’d normally find, it’s still worthy of mentioning on how easy this is to use.
The Coolfire IV 40W uses VRMS DC current for increased accuracy, with a power deviation of just 0.1 watt. VRMS, or root mean square voltage, is Sqrt[V^2(average)].
A VRMS will never be more that the maximum voltage value of the signal. The full 40 watts is maintained precisely between 0.3 to 2.5 ohms.
The Coolfire IV 40W doesn’t waste power and the total accuracy means you are always vaping at the power level that you want.
There are always safety features you expect in a box mod and Innokin always makes sure that their devices has plenty.
In the Coolfire IV, there are quite a few such as a low voltage warning, over discharge protection, and short circuit / atomizer protection.
There is even a handy puff counter if you like to keep up with what you’re vaping and it has pass through as well.
One extra bonus is the feature that remembers your last wattage and voltage so if you find the perfect setting. You don’t have to start over to find it.
The Coolfire IV 40W comes with a 510 spring loaded positive pin connection.
You know what that means of course: it’ll fit just about everything you have and it’ll fit flush as well.
The threading is stainless steel and it also comes with an extra Ego thread adapter.
Battery Power and Type
The battery is adequate but it won’t last someone all day, especially if you vape a lot or continuously.
It’s a 2000 mAh and will require you to charge it multiple times per day.
However, since it has the pass through feature, at least you can charge it while you’re vaping.
This will keep you going for quite some time. Especially if you do a lot of vaping at your desk where there’s a computer.
Just plug in the micro USB cord and you’re all set.
What Comes in the Box?
- 1 x Innokin Coolfire IV
- 1 x USB charger cable
- 1 x eGo threading adapter
- 1 x user manual
Final Thoughts on the Coolfire IV from Innokin
Overall, this is a really formidable little box mod. It’s not going to give you limitless vaping power, yet it is compact in size, looks nice, has a ton of features, and equally important it’s affordable.
The average price is about $40 and under so honestly, it’s a great deal for 40 watts of power.
If you’re looking for that range of wattage then you really can’t go wrong with this new device from Innokin.