Published on May 28th, 2015 | by Kim2
Hana Modz DNA 40 Review
The DNA 40 is a temperature protected, power regulated, advanced vape controller from Hana Modz.
It gives 500 mA of charge current through its built in DNA charger, which is micro USB powered.
Of course you’ll get the same features you’re used to such as standard safety features, 40 watts of power, and temperature control.
Along with a floating 510 connection pin and it houses an 18650 battery.
In this DNA 40 review, we’ll look at what sets this apart from similar mods.Hana Modz DNA 40 | Vaporkings.com | Only $256.00!
The DNA 40 is the first chip for electronic cigarettes to directly measure and limit the temperature of the heating coil during usage.
By preventing the coil from becoming too hot regardless of fluid, wicking or airflow.
This makes it safer to use and prevents a myriad of issues from happening.
You won’t experience dry hits or burnt cotton when choosing to use nickel 200 wire instead of kanthal.
Instead of voltage, the device will display your temperature limit and you can adjust it accordingly to get the best flavor, and of course no burnt cotton or hits that taste dry and scorched.
When the DNA 40 is used with a temperature sensing atomizer, an additional feature called Preheat is activated.
No vapor is produced when the temperature is below the boiling point of the liquid.
Preheat applies extra power until the heating coil is up to operating temperature to shorten the delay between pressing the fire button and generating vapor.
Because the preheat is temperature relatively low, it will not overheat or burn the vapor.
You’ll also find this device has passthrough capabilities, allowing you to vape it while you charge it.Hana Modz DNA 40 can be found at Vaporkings.com
- Output Power 1 watt – 40 watts
- Output Voltage 1 volt – 9.0 volts
- Output Current, continuous 16.0 amps
- Output Current, instantaneous peak .16 Ohm – 2.0 Ohms
- Atomizer Resistance, temperature sensing wire, cold .10 Ohm – 1.0 Ohm
- Temperature Limit 200 F – 600 F
- Input Voltage 3.1 volts – 4.3 volts
- Input Current .5 amps – 16.0 amps
- Screen On Current 25mA
- Quiescent Current 1mA
- Power Down Current 5uA
- Efficiency 92%
- Weight 6g
- Footprint .65″ x 1.30″ .80″ x 1.30″
- Thickness .32″
- Screen Size .69″ OLED
Features of the Hana Modz DNA 40
- 40 watt regulated mod
- 0.1 incremental wattage adjustment
- 510 floating connector
- 6061 billet aluminum body
- OLED display provides: Wattage, ohm, voltage, battery, temperature, and error messages
- Temperature Protection Evolv Patented Technology)
- Preheat functionality
- 1800mah Lithium Polymer battery included
- Reverse battery protection
- 500mA micro-USB
- On-board charging
- Overcharge protection (stops when fully charged)
- Pass-thru charging functionality
- Made in the USA
The unit uses a single 18650 battery for impressive battery life even at higher wattage. One battery you might like is the Samsung 25r which is recommended for the Hana Modz DNA 40 mod.
Voltage and Wattage
- Output Power 1 watt – 40 watts
- Output Voltage 1 volt – 9.0 volts
Threading on the Hana Modz 40w Mod
The threading is your typical 510 flush mount connection so that you can use your favorite atomizer on it and have it fit seamlessly.
What Comes in the Box
- (1) Hana Modz 40w Mod
- (1) USB Cable
Similar Mods to the Hana Modz DNA 40
Clearomizers for the Hana Modz DNA 40
The Hana Modz 40w Mod comes crafted in T6061 billet aluminum.
It has a myriad of color choices including: Red, Purple, Blue, Black, Phantom Black, Gunmetal, Navy Blue, Olive, and Green.
The display is an easy to read 0.69 inch OLED screen placed on the front of the unit. It is capable of displaying your atomizer resistance, wattage, battery life, and voltage.
How to Use the DNA 40
Waking up the DNA 40
- Simply tap the fire button.
- The create vapor, use the same fire button, and to change the wattage, use the up or down buttons which you can click or hold down.
How to change atomizers
- The DNA 40 used the resistance of the atomizer to calculate the temperature of the heating coil.
- It continually looks to see whether a new or changed atomizer has been connected.
- If you are using temperature protection, be careful to only attach new atomizers that have cooled to room temperature to the device.
- If a new atomizer is attached to the DNA 40 before it has cooled down, the temperature may read and protect incorrectly until the new atomizer cools.
When connecting a new atomizer or disconnecting and reconnecting an existing atomizer, the DNA 40 will prompt to confirm this change.
When you fire the first time, before activating the DNA 40 will prompt “New Coil? UP YES/DOWN NO“.
When you see this prompt, if you have attached a new atomizer, press the UP button. If you have disconnected and reconnected the same atomizer, press the DOWN button.
The Hana Modz DNA 40 has quite a few safety features such as:
- Overcharge protection
- Temperature protection
There are also quite a few error messages that will display if you have an error with the device:
- Check Atomizer: The DNA does not detect an atomizer, the atomizer has shorted out, or the atomizer resistance is incorrect for the power setting.
- Shorted: The atomizer or wiring are short circuited.
- Weak Battery: The battery needs to be changed, or a higher rate battery is needed to be used. (If this happens, the DNA 40 will continue to fire the atomizer, but will not be able to provide the desired wattage) The Weak Battery message will continue to flash for a few seconds after the end of puff.
- Temperature Protection: The heating coil reached the maximum allowed temperature during the puff. If this happens, the DNA 40 will continue to fire, but will not be able to provide the desired wattage.
- Ohms Too High: The resistance of the atomizer coil is too high for the current wattage setting. If this happens, the DNA 40 will continue to fire, but will not be able to provide the desired wattage. The Ohms Too High message will continue to flash for a few seconds after the end of puff.
- Ohms Too Low: The resistance of the atomizer coil is too low for the current wattage setting. If this happens, the DNA 40 will continue to fire, but will not be able to provide the desired wattage. The Ohms Too Low will continue to flash for a few seconds after the end of a puff.
- Too hot: The DNA 40 has on-board temperature sensing. It will shut down and display this message if the internal board temperature becomes excessive.
- Auto Power Down: The screen will be at full brightness while firing. After 10 seconds with no button pressed, the screen will dim. 30 seconds after the last button press, the screen will fade out and the device will go into sleep mode. To wake the device, press the fire button.
Vista Vapors Free E Juice Offer!
Vista Vapors is an American based company from Minnesota and is a rising e juice vendor. They give you over 160 different flavors to ponder over, and you can customize each juice bottle with just the right amount of nicotine with optional ‘flavor shots’.
Their 17 ml e juice bottle is a pretty good deal at only $4.99, however we are offering an exclusive deal through BestClearomizer.com….
Select a free 12mL bottle of your choice and pay $1.99 for shipping. That’s it! There’s no catch or hidden fees.
Choose from these popular Vista Vapor flavors: American Tobacco, Banana, Black Cherry, Blueberry Blueberry, Muffin Bubble Gum, Butterscotch, Cinnamon Roll, Cotton Candy, TwoMint Gum, Green Apple, Icy Menthol, New Menthol, Pineapple, Razzleberry, Root Beer, Spearmint, Tobacco Red and Watermelon.
At 2 bucks for 12mL, it’s about as cheap and risk free as it gets when it comes to sampling a new type of juice. This is a limited time offer, so don’t miss your chance and order yours today!
Looking for Exclusive Discounts and Free Giveaways?!
Get instant updates when we post new giveaways, reviews, vaping guides and industry news, as well as exclusive vendor discounts and coupons (so you don’t miss any awesome e juice or hardware deals)!
I think we can all agree saving money on vaping gear is about as cool as it gets. Click here to sign up and get those discounts!
We are very serious about privacy, and will never sell your email or spam you in any way.
The Hana Modz DNA 40 has the solid aluminum which is lighter yet sturdy and will stand up to normal wear and tear.
You get a ton of color choices and the display is easy to read and nice in appearance.
A few of the main selling points include the fact that that it not only has overcharge protection, but it uses temperature protection.
Along with that, it also has the DNA chip that is reliable and customizable.Hana Modz DNA 40 | Best Deal | Click Here!
Share Your Thoughts
Don’t forget about entering into our free Monthly Giveaway Here!